Friday, 15 February 2013

In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?


My media product task was to create a music video for a piece of music that does not have a copyright. The music video I have created uses and develops the normal conventions of a music video within the pop-rock hybrid genre.
My production uses and develops many of the conventions I have come across when researching my media production. Many music videos within this music genre are hybrid videos, mixing narrative and performance on a parallel course throughout the song. I tried to merge the two in a new way, making the narrative happen around the performance. This was not done in many of the videos I have reviewed and make the transitions easier from narrative, to performance. The digi-pak and magazine advert I created follows the conventions of the norm for this music genre… Pop, which is an amalgamation of many successful genres this is why 'pop' is an abbreviation of popular and as such many of the other genres share the genres and conventions:


My music video is designed to increase the target audience of the music video by increasing the number of people able to view or listen to it. Its target audience is teenage women who would listen to the music video and watch the video hopefully understanding the hidden meaning behind the clips. This is done to increase the audience that was highest. The target audience for the music itself is teenage women due to the very pop like tempo and lyrics.
my imitation to dont you want me baby

 Dont you want me baby screen grab
The shots I have used in creating this music video are very similar to many of the shots used by other pop rock music videos. In the shot to your left the camera is directly facing the actor who is on the phone to the actress this is an establishing shot for the whole music video. This shot is homage to a really famous song, ''Don'  t you want me baby'' by the human league, where a similar shot is used; this shot however is the only shot to develop the conventions to such an extent.
In many music video within this genre the director will use close ups and extreme close ups to either show emotion or mystery, the close up shot of the actresses feet try to emote mystery in the audience ‘who is this person’. This shot was difficult to get because it needed the camera to follow the feet but be as smooth as possible to get a work-able shot.
 The Mise-en scene is a very important part of any music video in any genre, and I have tried very hard to find the correct locations to fit my music genre, pop-rock. The mise en scene is not just the surroundings but the objects costume and any set within it. This is why when choosing the car for my music video I chose one that followed the conventions of the genre; I know this because it was in Cover Drive's new song ‘Explode’.
Cover Drives song Explode

I used the same make and model of car in my video

In my music video I have included an extreme close up of the actress's face, this is of similar distance to the close up of the feet, but this puts emphasis on the actresses face and her emotions it also help for sale purposes. It allows the audience to view the singer of the song which helps the audience to connect to the singer a lot easier than trying to make a connection with a video comprising  other shots not showing the face.

this is a shape disolve i used 

this is a pin whole transition i used 

this is a cross disolve i used

this is a fade to black i used


Many shots are linked with simple jump cuts, because they allow the scene to change easily. However I have used some transitions to improve the video: cross dissolve/ fade, fade to black, spiral dissolve, circle opening and fade to white. All of these are used to help the momentum stay constant between each shot I have seen the majority of these transitions in pop-rock music videos. A video that uses some of these transitions are displayed in ; kesha's “die young”. However many music videos within this genre use jump-cuts almost entirely for most of their music videos transitions. Instead of using clever transitions they use a higher number of clips and use a lot of special effects within the clips for example in the DNA by the little mix the background cityscape it green screened into the video.
The hardest editing challenge I faced was lip syncing which had to be perfect, in order to maintain the illusion. If it isn’t then the video is ruined because people will see that it is lip synced, I think I have managed to lip sync successfully. The next major thing I did was to overlay the rev counter onto this shot this took nearly as long as the lip syncing to get right because I was not very good on IMovie. In most music videos within this genre the narrative outweighs the performance 70/30, (this does not include the singing), as this is a key part of 90 percent of Katy Perry’s 'Wide awake', which is a great example of this and is very similar to my video unlike. Cover Drive that has a 60/40 split performance to narrative. The general rule for narrative and performance in this genre is there needs to be more narrative than performance my media production is comprised almost entirely by narrative, with singing through it, this is because there we few moments when anything more could have happened.
I believe for the most part I have used the conventions of the pop-rock music video genre. Because many of the music videos I have looked at have inspired me to use shots from them, this means also that the conventions are upheld. The editing within this music genre is often very lacking when it comes to the transitions. This has lead to a development of the music genre in these parts. I did this because the whole point of the music video is to show our skills at using the media equipment effectively. I have used the genre conventions with the other effects I have used on the clips, I have seen all the  effects  I used on the clips used on other music videos; Gray effect are used on little mix's DNA, blur is used on Kesha's Die young along with some overlays which are also used on Celo Greens song forget you.    
The sound within my music video has been edited only very slightly, the first thing I did was crop the ends of the clip because there was a lot of silence towards the end of the clip. After this I added two dietetic sound clips I created that were edited to remove any background noise and enhance the sound I wanted I also raised the volume of these pieces the first one you hear is the footsteps, these were the sound captured from the foot shot, all I did was remove any spikes of background noise by simply selecting the unwanted part and deleting it I then increased its volume and checked for unwanted noise again and cropped it once I had done this I added it to the video and synced it up to the steps. I then lowered the sound to a level that complimented the existing music. I did this again with the engine noise but I had recorded this from a different vehicle and merged it in using the same method as before but I had to copy and paste more parts together.
I have tried to develop some conventions of the music genre, by trying to have a hidden message run through this video. Which is that she knew the person on the phone was not at an airport but in fact doing something seedy. This meant she was upset and feeling betrayed and alone which is why no one else is seen with her in the video. This challenges the normal conventions of a music video where you don’t just see the actress in the narrative even in sad, melancholy videos like Christina Perri - A Thousand Years. Dis juncture runs throughout the entire video because it is meant to show how she is feeling not how she actually is. I have tried to produce a video with a meaning running all the way through it however the semiotic signs I have put in the video are not very transparent unless you are looking for them. One of the more obvious signs is that she never smiles. I did this to try and emote thought which is a very powerful tool, if for example you see a advert on the TV or You-tube that is very obscure you have an interest to find out what it meant and what product they are trying to sell. It’s the same thing you will remember the video and the song more if it makes you think.
The shots above are from the video and the digital, showing that the conventions are held  throughout the ancillary tasks as well as the movie, this is important because if they didn’t match the association will be lost and less people will remember the important information like the name of the artist or even the name of the song.




No comments:

Post a Comment